Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Congress mandates Constitution Day programs at colleges

I don't agree with how it was done (rider on a spending bill) and I think it's a disturbing precedent (Congress dictating curriculum), but I can't help but agree with Sen. Robert Byrd's mandate that schools that receive federal money must teach students about the Constitution on Constitution Day (Sept. 17, in case you didn't know.) As I've mentioned before, the lack of knowledge among high school students about the First Amendment is appalling, despite the wailing in the post article by the National School Boards Association rep that public schools already cover the Constitution.

If I can get my act together I'm going to propose the Rowan Journalism department sponsor a First Amendment symposium on that day.