Friday, July 07, 2006

Wikipedia's Jimmy Wales tackles political discourse

Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia, launched a new wiki today. His goal for this site is no less grand than it is for Wikipedia. This time, he's out to change political discourse for the better.

The site is called Campaigns Wikia. The name isn't as elegant as Wikipedia, but its mission is even more idealistic and important. Here are two quotes from the site's mission statement:

"I am launching today a new Wikia website aimed at being a central meeting ground for people on all sides of the political spectrum who think that it is time for politics to become more participatory, and more intelligent."

"I will frankly admit right up front: I don't know how to make politics healthier. But, I believe that you do. I believe that together we can work, this very election season, to force campaigns to use wikis and blogs to organize, discuss, manage, lead and be led by their volunteers."

I don't know if what Wales is proposing can be done, but I know it needs to be done if we are to reclaim our democracy from the corporate/political establishment. Besides, I'm a sucker for idealism. So I've signed up as a 'participating blogger.' I'm not even sure what that means yet, but I want to go on the record in support of Wales' lofty and admirable goals.